Friday, May 25, 2018

Day 27 – Monticello,IA to Elkader,IA

Date: 25.05.2018
Altitude: 3097.1 ft (944 m)
Distance: 78.60 mi (126.50 km)
Total Altitude: 47792.0 ft (14567 m)
Total Distance: 1752.21 mi (2819.92 km)

So far I had experienced the the highest temperatures in Iowa, and today it was again a hot day. Although the temperatures didn't reach 90°F (32°C) like yesterday, but today it was quite humid as well. So it felt a lot hotter and I needed a lot of fluid to not dehydrate. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Let's see how that will go.

The day was again really exhausting. As I already realized yesterday, the terrain wasn't flat. At least today I was prepared for it and knew what to expect. But I had the feeling, there was even more uphill today. There was a constant up and down throughout the day and at the end of the day there was a longer downhill to Elkport and the Volga River and just after that a longer uphill. I really could have done without the uphill at the end of the day, especially after I ran out of water. The scenery along the way was quite similar to the last few days, corn and bean fields along the route. In addition to the fields along the way, there were quite a few cattle farms along the way. On the route I took today, there was more traffic than the last few days especially the last few miles going to Elkader on IA13. The traffic here was probably so bad because of the Memorial Day weekend. The worst part about it, most of the roads didn't have a paved shoulder. But twice today I didn't have any traffic or almost any traffic for a few miles. The first time was in the beginning of the day, when I was cycling back to the Northern Tier route from Monticello. Here I was going on unpaved back roads for about 10 miles. The second time was only for about 6 miles, but again on gravel. This time I was going on a trail closed for motorized vehicles, between Farley and Dyersville. The trail was nice for a change, not having to worry about cars/trucks coming from behind. Going on gravel for almost 16 miles today, I was really happy I opted for the wide tires when configuring my bike.

Today I had again a really nice encounter on the road. When I stopped at the side of the road to take a break, a semi truck stopped on the other side of the road. The driver got out and walked over to me. Asking me where I'm going and about my trip. He was explaining that he himself is riding a bike and told me I should take part in RAGBRAI (a bicycle ride across Iowa), if I'm ever planning on coming to Iowa again. After a few minutes we parted ways again. It is is just great how many great people you meet along the way.

Conclusion for the day:

The wide tires are in my opinion the best option to be prepared for everything on the trip.











No comments:

Post a Comment